Use sonos move offline with Spotify

I like the concept of Sonos Move. Yet an important feature seems to be missing: I‘d love to download and save music from Spotify to use it offline. Yes, I could stream music via airplay, but this requires an active connection to my mobile. Besides, sound quality is reported to be better when Sonos is downloading the music itself.

So why not provide the possibility to download music to the Sonos Move to make it self sufficient and useable without an active internet connection?

Dieser Beitrag ist geschlossen für weitere Beiträge

3 Antworten

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

@chrisb89 

This would be a complete  different usage design and the hardware would have to be modified. The needed storage memory would make the speaker cost a lot more and also there would be license problems to download content from streaming services. 
So finally i don’t think this will be a doable project. 

I understand that hardware needs to be modified/ extended. Looking at prices for simple flash drives, this should not be that costly. Simple usb drives (32, 64gb) are sold to end customers for 5€, which already includes the USB port.

Why do you see a license issue here? I can download music to multiple devises already including notebook, tablet, and phone. Each of these devices is registered at Spotify. Yes, all of these devices use the Spotify app itself instead of a third party app. However, there will be technical and legal ways to handle this problem and streaming service providers might be willing to cooperate.

At least from an environmental perspective it sounds promising to introduce local storage / caching, since it could reduce the energy demand for service provider and consumer by reducing the number of redundant downloads. Hence, such a feature should even contribute to the reputation of a brand.

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

@chrisb89 

I‘m absolutely with you that this would be a nice feature. And i‘m not sure about the problems of licenses… but exactly the point of using downloads from another client software could be one. 
However i can’t imagine that Sonos will go this way. But hope never dies… 😉