No visual volume control indicator when using Apple Tv

Abzeichen

My setup is a new LG OLED C1 from 2021 connected over eARC with a Sonos Beam Gen. 2.

How this setup does:

When adjusting volume with TV remote, I get a visual indicator in the tv screen, that I press + or - on the volume buttons. No numbers, that show on what level I am actually on the Sonos Beam Gen. 2.

What I do have in addition is an Apple TV 4K.

How this setup does:

When adjusting volume with Apple TV remote, it works as well through CEC, but with the difference, that then I don‘t see it visual on the television, but the Sonos Beam Gen. 2 status led flashes during pressing the volume buttons.

Why is the behaving like that?

Dieser Beitrag ist geschlossen für weitere Beiträge

16 Antworten

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

@repla 

That’s because the AppleTV remote also works on IR mode. 

Abzeichen

Thank you for explanation. So could I turn that off, that the Apple TV only uses CEC for that? How to do that?

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

@repla 

You can go to Beams settings in Sonos App and turn off „use IR“. 

Abzeichen

That setting is already deactivated.

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

That setting is already deactivated.

Ok… so Beam isn‘t receiving any IR signal. May be your TV behaves different in sending control commands over CEC wether they came from it‘s own remote control or from another CEC connected device like AppleTV. 
May be you can change options in AppleTV settings for the ATV remote control. 
Imo it sends volume control commands to the TV also using IR. Perhaps this makes the difference… 

But in the end controlling Beams Volume does work for you? So it‘s just a design problem? 

Abzeichen

At the end it‘s only a design problem and has probably nothing to do with the Sonos Beam setup itself.

Thank you for thinking over that with me. I will overthink my setting and post my findings in here, if there is some.

Benutzerebene 6
Abzeichen +3

Hello @repla and welcome to the community,

doesn’t the Apple TV control Sonos volume like your TV’s primary remote does?

→ You could try to go through the steps in the help section of Apple’s support article to verify that your Apple TV remote is programmed right and that your TV’s HDMI-CEC setting is turned on.

Best regards

Nils

Abzeichen

Funnily I noticed the following behaving:

I keep on pressing the volume buttons on my Apple TV, that let flash the Sonos Beam LED.

During that, I turn off and on again eARC support of my television.

After the TV got these two changes, what takes around 5 seconds, I will see the missing visual volume control indicators, while i continuing adjust the volume over the Apple TV remote.

After around another 5 seconds the indicators hide again, and I have the same behaving as reported in my case at the beginning.

As I wrote before,my setup seems to work over CEC and is technically fine, but keeps behaving not correct as it should.

Abzeichen +1

Hi,

have the exact same setting and the same problem, it’s kind of weird to have no volume indicator.

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

@itchy67x 

Imho this depends on the way how CEC control is working on your TV. May be that there only is a visual control for the internal speakers. Perhaps you can check your CEC settings and there are some more options to set up. 

Abzeichen +1

It’s an Lg oled c1 with Apple TV 4k, if I’m using airplay speakers I get the the volume indicator 

Benutzerebene 7
Abzeichen +4

@itchy67x 

Ich mach mal auf Deutsch weiter, da du ja ältere Beiträge selber auch auf Deutsch verfasst hast. 😉

Also bei Airplay ist das ja auch was anderes. Da wird der TV ja umgangen und es findet direkt vom ATV zur Beam eine Wlan Kommunikation und Steuerung statt. Per HDMI ist aber eben der TV im Spiel und muss Signale und Steuerbefehle weitergeben. 

Hi, I have the same setup and the problem. Did you find a way to solve this?

Abzeichen +1

Hi,

it's not a specific problem with the LG C1, there are other reports that it also occurs with e.g. Sony TV models. Whether it is an issue of the Apple TV or the Sonos I can not tell you, but I find it annoying and would be happy about a statement on the part of Sonos whether the issue is being worked on. 

Same here - Volume indication is missing!

Setup is a LG65CX9LA with Sonos Arc and AppleTV 4K.

Using TV Remote I see (most probably) the TV Sound Indicator Overlay …. using ATV Remote I see nothing. Could that maybe relate to the Video Output Format which does only allow an overlay up to a certain video format and frame rate?

What now helped for me was going into the AplleTV Settings and switch under Home Theater Control from “Auto” to “TV via IR” … that brought back the Volume Indicator (+/-) to the screen